There has been an increase in travel from Kenya to South Africa in the last few years. South Africa has become a popular travel destination for Kenyans. The country has beautiful attractions, scenic landscapes and of course, rich history and culture, which attract many foreigners every year.
Photo Source: Travel.nationalgeographic.com
Do you want to visit South Africa? You need to apply for visa to South Africa. Here is a detailed information on how to apply for South Africa Visa in Kenya.
A valid passport is required for all Kenya citizens entering South Africa. You can apply for your Kenyan passport online at Department of Immigration Services.
Types of South Africa Visas
There are different types of South Africa visas:
If you want to migrate to South Africa permanently or to stay there for a long period of time, you are advised to apply for a Long Term Visa and you must have a good reason for your long term stay especially if you are moving with your family.
Short Term Visas comprise of visitor visa, business visa, holiday visa, training and conference visa, transit visa, study visa and medical visa. However, the most popular type of visa is the Visitor’s Visa. Visitor’s visas are issued for short term visits. The purpose of the visit may be to go on vacation, visit friends and family, to study for a short period of time, to attend trainings or conferences.
General Visa Requirements
- Visa Application form, which must be completed and signed by the applicant in black ink. Click here to download the DHA-1738 FORM 8.
- 1 recent passport photograph taken against a white background. Photograph must not be more than 12 months old. Photo specification – (35mm * 45mm).
- Your Immigration passport valid for 60 days and with at least 2 free pages
- A Photocopy of your bio data page
- Copy of valid yellow vaccination card (make sure yellow fever vaccination card is valid for 10 years)
- Responsibility term/letter from the parents authorizing the minor of travels to South Africa and copy of the parents ID’s (Required even if the parent is travelling with minor)
- An Introduction/recommendation letter from an employer, where applicable, signed with contact details, (full names of the Employers, approved signatories, physical address and phone numbers).
- Verifiable flight booking
- Hotel Reservation (for those travelling for the first time). If you’ll be staying with a friend or relative, an invitation letter should be sent in English by your host or sponsor with a copy of Resident ID.
How to apply for South Africa Visa
Applying for South Africa Visa in Kenya is very easy and simple. The application process is very fast if you have the all requirements. Applicants are required to submit their applications at the VFS Global Application Centre in Nairobi.
Please note: Only Permits application can be applied through the High Commission of South Africa in Kenya.
There is no Visa application fee for Kenyan passport holders who are visiting South Africa for less than 30 days. However, you are required to pay VFS Global Service fee of KES 5, 850. Cash payment can be made at the bank located inside the Application Centre.
Applicants should make sure that they have all the documents indicated on the requirement check-list or else their visas may not be granted.
You can submit your application at VFS Global from 8 am to 3 pm, Monday to Friday except on public holidays observed by the High Commission of South Africa in Kenya.
The Visa processing timelines given by the South African High Commission in Kenya for each application is minimum of 7 working days, which starts counting from the day of submission. However, processing time may vary depending on the type of Visa you are applying for and of course, individual assessment.
Collection starts from 12pm to 3pm, Monday to Friday except on public holidays observed by the High Commission of South Africa in Kenya. Applicants should come along with the receipt they were given on the submission day for collection. Applicants will be alerted visa SMS when application has been sent to the High Commission of South Africa on submission day and they will also be alerted when their passports are due for collection at VFS Global Centre.
VFS Global Office Addresses
South Africa Visa Application Centre, Lagos
2nd Floor, West 1 Offices. Along Parklands Road Nairobi, Kenya.
Location Point: Opposite to “The Centre Point” commercial building.
The High Commission of South Africa Kenya Address
South Africa High Commission, Nairobi
3rd Floor, Roshanmaer Place, Lenana Road, Nairobi Kenya.
If you have any questions to ask us about applying for South Africa Visa, please let us know in the comment box below.